Latest XK and Jaguar News
Latest XK and Jaguar News
RM Sotheby’s is offering C-type chassis number XKC014 at its London sale, held in partnership with the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run, on 5 November, with an estimate of £4,000,000-£4,500,000. The C-type left the Browns Lane works in Coventry on 7 October 1952 and was immediately dispatched to its first, Florida-based, owner – Commander John ‘Jack’ Rutherford finished in cream with a green suede interior. It was fitted with engine number E1014-8 and body number K-1014, and retains its matching-numbers status – although the current cylinder head is thought to be from a late XK 120.
Rutherford competed in the car extensively between 1952 and 1960, achieving a timed run of 134.07mph at the 1953 NASCAR Speed Week at Daytona Beach. With its second owner, David S Burtner the car competed in several SCCA races in 1961 and 1962 and achieved several class victories, as well participating in the 1962 Road America 500 Miles.
The third US-based owner retained XKC014 for 24 years and eventually sold the Jaguar in 1988 to a German collector, who commissioned a restoration by Peter Jaye Engineering. During that work, the car was repainted British Racing Green. Later owners have included Skip Barber, Joel Loeb and Bill Jacobs. See rmsothebys.com
A short-nose D-type sold for £799,000 at Bonham’s Goodwood Revival sale on 18 September. Chassis number XKD 570 was assembled in 1956 but then dismantled for parts by Jaguar. Beyond that brief initial period as a completely assembled and finished car, it has no further 1950s history. Andrew Whyte, in his book Jaguar – Sports-Racing & Competition Cars from
1954, records that XKD 570 went into the Jaguar Service Department ‘in bare metal state, 18 July 1956, with instructions to remove engine and gearbox and pass them to Bob Smart, the man in charge of Service Dept engine
and gearbox administration.’ Whyte noted that the timing of work on XKD 570 coincided with repairs on the badly damaged XKD 403, which led him to suggest that XKD 570 (or XKD 548) may have been used for part of that work.
The D-type now known as XKD 570 was rebuilt in the 1980s from assorted Jaguar and reproduction parts and was acquired by Italian artist Francesco Scianna, who asked Lynx Engineering to fit a more period-correct D-type rear subframe and live rear axle.
In 2009, XKD 570 (by then FIA accredited) was acquired by Valentine Lindsay, who competed in events such as the Mille Miglia, Goodwood Revival and the Silverstone Classic. Cared for by the likes of Pearson Engineering and CKL Developments over the years, the car sold for £799,000.
A new trade association, the Historic and Classic Vehicles Alliance (HCVA), was launched on 25 May with a mission to protect and promote the classic car sector and secure its long-term future. It says that more than 100,000 jobs are in peril as a combination of bureaucracy and poorly focused environmental legislation threatens Britain’s world-leading classic vehicle industry.
With economic revival a top priority as the UK strives to recover from the COVID pandemic, the worry is that highly skilled engineers, restorers, craftsmen and parts suppliers face uncertainty over their livelihoods. Leading figures in
the classic vehicle industry fear complex new rules around exporting and importing cars and parts to and from the EU and widespread misunderstanding of the environmental impact of classic motoring, are damaging owners’ confidence and enthusiasm.The ‘not for profit’ organisation intends to campaign on behalf of individuals and companies in the classic vehicle world, including specialist restorers, dealers, parts suppliers and a broad cross-section of the industry.
HCVA director Henry Pearman said: ‘The time has come for us in the industry, owners and enthusiasts to all to join together to correct a host of myths and misconceptions and to protect and celebrate the world we love.’
Membership is open to businesses and individuals. For more details, see hcva.co.uk.
XKs in the News
Lynx D-type at H&H Classics Duxford Auction
T his 1977 Lynx D-type was offered for sale at H&H Classics’ Imperial War Museum Duxford auction on 17 November with no reserve. A similar one was recently bid to $280,000 in the US on the ‘Bring a Trailer’ website, and this one sold for £213,750. The fourth chassis number
allocated and the third Lynx D-type to be completed, it was supplied new to Blair Hamilton of Classic & Thoroughbred Motors Ltd in Vancouver, who was a personal friend of company founder Guy Black. It was initially built to long-nose, high-tail 1955 specification with single screen and an aluminium body crafted by Williams and Pritchard, and raced at club level.
OKV 421 was the subject of an article in the Vancouver Sun newspaper on 25 January 1978 and was
repatriated two years later. It reportedly passed through the hands of Victor Gauntlett, Casper McDonald Hall and John Baynes thereafter; the latter had a slight off at Brands Hatch, which saw the two-seater returned to Lynx for minor repairs.
Bought by Barry Eastick during 1983, OKV 421 resumed its competition career the following decade at the Nürburgring, Silverstone and Spa- Francorchamps (having been the first Lynx D-type converted to dry-sump lubrication). Lynx converted it to ‘works 1956’ specification for the vendor, adding a passenger door and wraparound windscreen.